Sunday, May 21, 2023

Abhi To Main Jawan Hoon

Abhi to main jawaan hoon!
(I am still young.)

"Hello Doctor": comes a very sweet sound when I entered the exam room.
A very beautiful lady in her late 70s was sitting elegantly on the exam chair. She was very well-maintained and her body language was as nimble as of a little girl. She was full of life and grace. She was hurting in her joints.
She felt like she still had so much work to do but her joints and muscle strength were limiting her.

She was very well aware of her health but I could see the spirit in her eyes that she could still do so much to make a difference.

I introduced myself to her and we worked on making her feel better and more mobile and help her complete her goals.

This reminds me of a gentleman who was in mid 80s and he was worried bout the way the arm muscles were lax and he was losing his strength and was unable to do the yard work so well. He was fully functional with intact executive functions and very tech savvy that was impressive.

He had a very good sense of humor and in his mind he was still young and could move mountains. He wanted to do a lot more in the years to come. He had an autoimmune disease that manifested very late in his life.

Seeing geriatric population is very insightful. I have realized that the age is in the heart and it is what you feel it is. 
Dedicating this song to all my very sweet, energetic , motivated elderly patients.

Dr. Jaya Sonkar MD MPH 
5/21/2023
©All rights reserved . Copyright 2023

https://www.spreaker.com/episode/53952399

No comments:

Post a Comment